Monday, July 16, 2012

Motherhood

(an older picture, but a favorite)


I read this the other day through a parenting email that I've subscribed to.

This poem describes Ridge perfectly right now.

I love his questions. Well, I love the first 3 or so.  I know he's learning so much right now.
 But, after a few "why?" "why?" and oh yes, "why?" and after a few "because that's how God made it buddy." I'm worn out.
And, the next question is comparing everything!
 "Momma, am I taller than Fulton?"
"Which is the longest?"
 "Whose toy goes the fastest? My car or Fulton's car?"
 "Which boy is the biggest?"
"Momma, stand by dada, who is the biggest?"
And, the list goes on. 

Yes buddy, I see all the questions on your face.


Yes, we are at the question stage for sure.
I hope it speaks to you as much as it did me.

Lord, help me be a gracious mother even in the ordinary moments of the day.
Help me be patient when all he wants is an honest answer and the little wheels in his mind are turning.

Thank  you Ruth for this poem. You can check out her blog here at Grace Laced

A Weary Mother's Manifesto

When you describe the craziest-coolest-most-awesome Lego spaceship ever...
I will listen and mirror the wonder in your face.

When the questions you ask seem to have no end...
I'll help you make sense of it all instead of shush-ing you away.

When you go off imagining you are hiding from pirate ships...
I might just join in and be your shipmate.

When you sing the first four words to your favorite tune over and over again...
I will teach you the rest of the song.

When you serve up green playdoh noodles...
I won't placate you with an obligatory "nibble." I'll tuck a napkin under my chin and ask for more.

When you're in need of correction and training...
I will not say in one word ("Stop!") what I should explain with several.

When you want a friend...
I will teach you how to be a friend by example.

When you want to help with the dishes, dusting, and vacuuming...
I will remember that your willingness is a joy and not a hinderance.

When you wonder what I care about the most...
I'll show you the Gospel in actions and words.

When I'm weary and motherhood seems too big a task...
your little hand in mine will remind me the clock's ticking.

When you lay your head down tonight...
I pray you'll remember and know with assurance...

----I chose what was best,

----I counted the cost, 

----to not squander this day of motherhood but to be all here.

Thank you Ruth for such sweet and perfect words.

Ridge and Fulton, I hope to be this mother to you.

Love,  Mommy

1 comment:

jessica said...

Such a wonderful reminder, Sandahlyn. With tears in my eyes, I thank you! =)